October 17, 2007

Ramblings

Life is getting back to normal. It's a gorgeous day out and I have no ambition to work.

I've been making a comparative spread for the big insurance decision. There's still some factors that aren't considered yet, but I've got most of it compared. Right now my *single* premium is paid in full by my employer (I would only have to pay the additional part associated with hubby). However, it's a high deductible plan with an HSA. So, when I go to the doctor, I have to pay all the bills up to the $2000 ($4000 when spouse is added) deductible, which I can use my HSA to pay, then it's covered at 80%. This is just fine for a healthy, woman such as myself.

Now there's hubby's plan, which has a copay of $20 per visit and I'm pretty sure the rest is covered at 100% (it's one of the more prestigious companies in town). However, the premiums per month are quite high, and his employer only pays a portion of it. Either way we more than likely won't have medical expenses above the 7.5% of AGI for it to be a tax help.

One major pro for his plan is that there would be less paper work per incident because they cover it completely( or so my insurance lady told me). His plan also has a "no pre-existing condition" clause, so he's covered even though he's been off insurance for 6 months.

The biggest problem is that right now my employer has been searching for a new plan for our group, so at any moment the rates I've been working with could change and I have absolutely no idea which way they could go.

Ah, the joys of being an adult...

No comments: