July 23, 2008

I was reading an article while on break. This bothers me.

"People without a home, more than a third of them families with children, depend on the government and nonprofits. For them much is riding on the outcome of the Nov 4. presidential election, advocacy groups say".

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but shouldn't they be depending on themselves? The article was about a woman who was kicked out of the house she was renting because it was forclosed on. It went on to tell about how she lost her banking job. Now this sends up a red flag. She had a banking job? She saw what has been going on all around her every day? She didn't have some sort of safety plan? Now she's homeless with her six boys. I'm not saying that she deserved what happened to her, but I don't believe that she should be DEPENDING on the government to help her. If it can, great. But she should be out there trying to take care of her kids, not whining to anyone who'll listen.

No comments: