January 16, 2009

My husband and I were talking last night on our way to dinner. The discussion was that one of my clients believes Walmart is the root of all evil. I went on to explain how I can understand this guy's attitude because Walmart is not always good to their employees. But then Brien said that big corporations like that are damned if they do and damned if the don't.

Thinking about that....if a Walmart closed down because they weren't making any money and still paid ALL the employees they are currently employing, people would be angry. If they lay off people so they can still be in business, then the community gets angry. If they lower the benefits of the employees so that no one loses their job, then everyone gets pissed. No matter what the bigger corps do, everyone is going to be mad.

It's hard. I see it as the employee (I experienced the benefit loss while I was working at Shopko), and I see it as the business side (many companies needing to cut costs just to make it through the year). Unfortunately someone has to suffer. There is just no way around it. It would be nice if everyone could win.

I've known a couple of people now that have been hit with this. Both situations turned out ok though. They got laid off from shit jobs, but they were forced to go back to school or do something completely different. Now they are both in better jobs AND they appreciate what they have a hell of a lot more.

No comments: