April 30, 2009

I haven't had a lot of time to write lately. But now that Tax Season is over, life is a bit easier.

It was a pretty good season overall. The week after April 15 we have a debriefing meeting and then also a review to find out how we did individually. I did very well. I put in only 16 more hours than last year, but I was able to bill over $10,000 more. I felt really good about my performance. I've been studying for the EA exam so that's been helping me as well.

House is still standing although we have a few glitches. Last weekend we had our doorway start to leak. There was water dripping down from the trim that lines the doorway between the kitchen and dining room. Brien went up into the attic and come to find out that there is a vent directly above that frame. The water was leaking down from the vent into the insulation and then down into our dining room. Awesome. And it looks like it had been doing this for years. Some of the joists are extremely water damaged. I'm kind of disappointed in the inspector guy that went up there before we bought the house. You'd think he would have mentioned it in his report. Nope. Grr.

Tom was kind enough to stop by after work and put some tar? up around the vents. It's raining again today, so we'll see if it worked.

We had a new back door put in about a month ago. That was the only construction/project that I allowed during this tax season. We had it professionally done because we wanted the opening to be widened. It was only 30" wide and we had it opened to the normal 36" door size. When the guy was out there doing it, he showed Brien what the previous owners had done. Instead of replacing the actual original 36'' door, they put a 30'' door INSIDE the old frame and made it fit. ACH! I can't believe they did that!

Every time we come across something like this, I need to remind myself why we chose an older home. I really do want to learn how to do all these things. Really.

No comments: