August 26, 2007

meh

I went up to Rapids to visit with my parents this last weekend. They were having their 1st Annual Balloon Rally Party (they recently bought a house right next to the small airport in my home town).

History: For the last six years the Children's Miracle Network has been having a hot air balloon rally to raise money. There are about 20 balloons and they do various things such as contests, evening glows, and rides for the kids. They get local bands to play and there is a bunch of fun stuff for kids to do.

Friday night we went over to listen to my cousin's band (The Skaatsmen). My parents have gone to hear them play several times before and Mom tried to describe it to me as a "big band with guitars." I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that they're a ska band. My cousin plays the trombone, and he actually sang "Beer" from Reel Big Fish. It was so amazing! The last time I saw a ska band was when I used to visit a friend in college and we'd see Honest Johnny. (thanks jay!)

Saturday night was the feed night. Everybody showed up and had meat and beer. More bands played and they had a really nice fireworks show.


Sunday was cleanup. I got lots of left overs to take back to the boy.

Monday night was a little crazy. Rock woke us up around 2:30 because he had an ear infection. I took him to the emergency animal clinic. They gave him something for the infection and something that knocked him out so he wouldn't keep scratching at his ear. Luckily he didn't have to wear the cone.

It was so hard watching him like that though. He didn't eat or go to the bathroom for a whole day. He would try and walk outside, but when he squatted down, he just fell over. The look in his eyes was so sad. I felt so horrible because there was nothing I could do for him. Every 10 minutes he'd whimper and I'd have to soothe him. It took a full 12 hours for the stuff to wear off. He's doing much better now, but he's still in pain.

No comments: