July 16, 2009

I admit it, I'm angry and scared by what's happening in the world.

I'm angry because so many people want and want and take and take. They want everything for free. There is no such thing as free...meaning if you get something for free, someone somewhere has to cover the cost. So every time you take more than you should, the next person gets shit on. I guess I'm mixed. I feel that if we all work together and all take a small hit, then everyone can be happy, but then I also feel that you should get what you work for. If you don't work for it, you shouldn't get it. You didn't earn it. I guess it just irritates me when you see people with their hand out who then scoff at what you offer them. Maybe that's what it is. If you're begging (demanding that you should get something just because you're breathing), then you should not be angry at what is given to you. If you are not begging (meaning you actually worked for it), then you should get what ever you earned.

It also irritates me that the unemployed are whining. I get that they need a job and some of them are probably actively job hunting, interviewing, really making the effort. However, I see SO MANY people who are unemployed and the only reason they go out of the house is to stand in line for their UE check. What if these people were out volunteering. There are so many places that need the free help. I know the humane societies need help with the animals that they rescue. There are plenty of parks, roads, things that need to get cleaned and maintained. Yeah, the work sucks, but now the person is giving to the community AND they're beefing up their resume. If I was HR, I would rather hire someone who was volunteering and getting "out there" instead of someone who sat on his ass all day playing video games. Plus, helping people will get you more exposure to people - networking! Meanwhile businesses get screwed - DWD raised the amount of taxable payroll. Granted it's only $1500 more per employee, but if you've got 10 employees (and I've seen as high as 9% rates) that's an extra $15,000 in taxable payroll - ouch!!

I'm scared because people can be so volatile. I'm wondering if people are going to start actively hurting each other. There is so much jealousy and greed right now. No matter what it is - car, TV, house, salary, benefits, lifestyle - everyone wants what their neighbor has. Are they going to start taking it?

There have been more robberies and break ins in Madison. I'm truly amazed at how common a bank robbery is here. It was almost unheard of in Rapids. But there it is...people getting desperate...so they take.

1 comment:

lawryde said...

As much as things change, they always stay the same... mmm 8 or 9 years ago when I was a bank teller at Associated Bank on Monroe, there were a string of bank robberies happening. I was working the drive up which was separate from the main bank. I asked them if the glass was bulletproof. They paused for a second "It's bullet resistant," was the reply. Didn't give me much confidence.

Eh, things are bottoming out. Alcoa's results were better than people though (largest AL producer in the world), and the banks are making money again. That will free up credit markets for businesses. We're always one day closer to the recession being over.