July 24, 2007

How to save money...

Good Idea: buy new, efficient washer and dryer
Bad Idea: install it yourself

We got the new washer and dryer! One of Brien's friends helped us get them to the basement. We should have known it was not our night when we found that we had to rip off all the packaging off in order to fit the things down the stairs.

Then Brien and I began hooking the washer up ourselves (the dryer will be done later because we're not piped correctly for gas). Not the greatest idea we ever had. We got everything out of the washer bin, read the instructions, and starting hooking things together.

It would have been just fine except that we are in the middle of re-plumbing some things and so the little setup we have going is just temporary. We apparently didn't have the hose clamps on tight enough for the drain tube. So we put a test load in (not very smart). The first 15 minutes went swimmingly! This new unit is so quiet. Then it hit a spin cycle and water started spraying everywhere! So I shut it off. Now I had water everywhere and completely soaked clothes in the washer. I spent about 2 hours sopping up water from the floor and wringing out the wet clothes. After lots of swearing and cursing, we got it hooked up right and now I'm very happy.




No comments: